1 cocktail/wine/tumbler glass
A Handful of water beads/glass pebbles/ crushed coloured glass/berries or similar
A small chunk of oasis similar in size to glass to wedge in
A handful of coloured sisal/few bold leaves/piece of fabric or felt
A couple straws
Wire/cocktail stick for fixing fruit
1 bold flower – gerbera/sunflower/rose/carnation or similar
Few small flowers – we have used kalanchloe but any small hardy bloom will do
Few sprigs of small hard leaves and some pretty foliage.
slice or half of citrus fruit or a few berries and cherries.
- Fill the bottom of the glass with the water beads to 1/3 – 1/2 way up the vase
- Shape oasis to fit, then float in a bowl of water until fully soaked
- Spread out the sisal and wrap around the outside of the oasis and squeeze into the top of the glass
- place one group of foliage on opposite sides of the glass (north – south) and another in the gaps (east-west) adding the pretty foliage in the centre.
- cut the focal flower to a few inches long and insert into the floral foam off to one side.
- add a cluster of the small flowers in-front and behind.
- insert the straws parallel to each other but at slightly different heights and heads bent at different angles.
- slice fruit and insert with ‘hair Pin’wires (see pic) or if using half a fruit or berries/cherries use a cocktail stick.
- sit back and admire…preferably whilst enjoying a proper cocktail… happy flower arranging!